Apktool 2.x (Versions after 1.5.2)
Java 1.7 installed?
Does executing java -version on command line / command prompt return 1.7?
If not, please install Java 7 and make it the default.
Make sure you have the 32bit libraries (ia32-libs) downloaded and installed by your linux package manager, if you are on a 64bit unix system.(This helps provide support for the 32bit native binary aapt, which is required by apktool)
1. Download Linux wrapper script (Right click, Save Link As apktool)
2. Download apktool-2 (find newest here)
3. Rename downloaded jar to apktool.jar
4. Move both files (apktool.jar & apktool) to /usr/local/bin (root needed)
5. Make sure both files are executable (chmod +x)
6. Try running apktool via cli